- 4 tablespoons walnut oil, divided
- 3/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon (scant) coarse kosher salt
- 3 cups organic old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup walnut halves, broken in half
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal*
- 1 cup pitted dates, coarsely chopped or torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush heavy large rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons oil. Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, sugar, egg whites, and salt in large bowl. Add oats, walnuts, and flaxseed; toss well.
Spread mixture evenly on prepared sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Using metal spatula, stir granola. Bake 15 minutes longer. Stir again. Sprinkle dates over; drizzle with honey. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Stir to loosen. Transfer to clean baking sheet to cool completely. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled in airtight container.
* Ground flaxseeds; available at natural foods stores.